Let’s get back to our roots! Our root vegetables, that is. This simple yet fabulous roasted root vegetables recipe works great as a weekday dinner side dish and can be dressed up with garnish for a holiday meal. I also love them as a lunch sandwich with my homemade tortilla wraps.
Roasted root vegetables have a tasty deep flavor, are high in fiber and very satisying. The roasting process brings out their natural sweetness. Packed with vitamins and nutrients, root vegetables are the perfect accompaniment to any meal. This classic comfort food will have all your family, friends or holiday guests at the table feeling right at home.
Simply Delicious Roasted Root Vegetables
- 5 carrots
- 4 beets
- 3 sweet potatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 spring rosemary (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C)
- Wash and peel vegetables Tip: Use gloves and an apron to peel beets, as the color may stain. I peel in a circle around the beet, beginning at the top and work my way down. The delicious taste and health benefits far outweigh the small bit of effort to peel them.
- Cut beets into quarters
- Cut carrots into halves or thirds (depending on their size).
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss with extra virgin olive oil until well-coated
- Add rosemary, if desired
- Spread evenly on a lined baking sheet for easy clean up
- Roast until tender, approximately 25 minutes, tossing halfway through.