This Classic Italian Gnocchi recipe is easy and delicious. It takes a little time and attention, but lets the one eating know that you care.
Many of you have asked which products I use and recommend. This post contains some of my affiliate links for “making every day the best day” while cooking, entertaining and living life. If you buy something through one of these links, you won’t pay a penny more, but I’ll get a small commission which helps keep the lights on. Thanks!
These little pillows of wholesome goodness are sure to satisfy any palate. Gnocchi can be made of just potato or you can incorporate other flavors that everyone will love. Some popular variations are carrot, beet, spinach, sweet potato, hazelnut and more. This comfort food is a favorite in my house.
Classic Italian Gnocchi are Quick and Easy!
This classic Italian gnocchi recipe is quick and easy to prepare. It’s a hands-on type of recipe, but there is nothing complicated about it. My kids love to give me a hand when I’m making gnocchi. (It may be just to get me to double up the recipe, since they are so incredibly delicious).
Gnocchi can be served with a simple marinara sauce, a creamy bechamel or even just with olive oil and some parmesan sprinkled on top. My absolute favorite is gnocchi with butter and sage, or as we say in Italy, “Gnocchi con Burro e Salvia.” It is such a wonderful taste and leaves the house with a fragrant aromatic smell.
Between the flavors you can add to the gnocchi themselves and the many types of sauces you can whip up, gnocchi is a very versatile dish that can be served as a main course or even a side dish.
Leftovers? What Leftovers?
I have never (ever) had any leftovers when I’ve made gnocchi. Although, if you do, they will heat up very well in a pan with whichever sauce you choose. You can also make the dough ahead the night before and leave it in the fridge in an air-tight container until you are ready to cook the actual gnocchi. But, the entire process isn’t so time consuming.
Even though I usually have my dinners for the week planned out it advance (you can download my free weekly meal planner here, once in a while I ask my family “What should I make for dinner?.” I would say that “Gnocchi!” is amongst the responses 90% of the time.
Classic Italian Gnocchi AKA Love in a Dish
- 2 3/8 cups flour (300 grams)
- 7 medium potatoes (1 kilo before peeling)
- 1 egg
- salt to taste
First Things First
- Put on some of your favorite music.
- Peel and boil potatoes in a large pot (like a pasta pot) of salted water
- Drain potatoes and mash with a potato masher or a fork
- Taste and add salt if necessary
- Add flour and egg and combine by hand
Making the Gnocchi
- Reboil water (add some water to the pot, if necessary)
- On a floured surface, roll out 3 strands of dough
- Slice starnds into individual pieces (see photo)
- Add approximately 10 gnocchi at a time to the boiling water
- They will float to the top when they are ready (around 1 minute)
- Remove cooked gnocchi with a slotted spoon
- While gnocchi are boiling, roll out and cut other strands and keep the cooking process going
- The gnocchi can be served by pouring a heated sauce on top. Or, they can be transferred to a large pan and heated in the sauce of your choice.
Does this sound like something you would try? I’m excited to hear from you in the comments below!
LIKE THIS BLOG POST? I’D LOVE FOR YOU TO FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST AND PIN IT FOR LATER!