These are hands-down the best bagels ever! Perfectly crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside.
You don’t have to go to a kosher deli for the most delicious bagels. The Rebbetzin Unplugged reveals her secret recipe for you to make easily at home.
For breakfast, lunch, dinner, or any time in between, bagels are a nutritious addition to any meal when paired with a colorful vegetable salad and a protein like cheese, eggs or tuna.
Choose your topping or fillings and enjoy! The possibilities are endless.
The Best Bagels Ever
- 6 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons dry yeast
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- Mix dry ingredients
- Add 1 1/2 cups of water
- Add vegetable oil
- Slowly add remaining 1/2 cup of water
- Form dough and let sit 10 minutes
- Preheat oven to 420F / 215C
- Boil a large pot of water.
- When water boils, add 2 tablespoons baking soda and 3 tablespoons honey.
- Divide dough in half and keep it covered in the bowl.
- Divide the half of the dough you are working with into five equal parts.
- Tip: You can use a scale if you want your bagels to be the same size.
- Roll out a portion in to a strand and form the bagel, gently pinching the ends to close.
- One at a time, dip each bagel in the boiling water solution, 10 seconds on each side.
- Tip: I use this slotted spoon to flip and remove the bagel from the water solution.
- Place the wet bagel gently onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle toppings now if you wish, such as poppy seeds, sesame seeds, za’atar, diced or sliced onion or fresh diced garlic.
- Bake for 20 minutes.