Apple Cinnamon Crumb Cake & Muffins
This cake has been one of my family’s favorites since I can remember. It has a delicious topping that can be used for many flavors of cake. This cake is so absolutely delicious, it can even be served on its own without the topping. And this recipe can easily be doubled and freezes extremely well. So double the recipe and make one with the topping and one without, and you’ve got two different cakes as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cups vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup cocoa 40 grams
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 packet baking powder 1 1/4 teaspoons or 5 grams
- pinch of salt
- pinch of cinnamon optional
- 1 1/2 apples (I eat the other half 😉)
- 1 cup dark or light brown sugar (We don't have that here, so I use Moscovado Sugar)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Beat eggs well with sugar and vegetable oil
- Add cocoa powder and mix well
- Add flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon and mix for two minutes.
- While cake batter is mixing, peel and thinly slice an apple. Cut the slices in thirds.
- Line your baking pan with baking paper to make for easy clean-up.
- Pour into the pan of your choice and add the apple slices on top. With a rubber spatula or the back of a spoon, gently press the apple slices a bit into the batter. They should not be completely submerged.
- Crunch Topping (optional):
- Combine flour and cinnamon
- Add brown sugar
- Mix by hand until thoroughly combined
- Sprinkle generously on top of cake
- Bake at 350F / 170C for 50 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick. If needed, continue to bake in increments of 5 – 10 minutes.
Bakes well in any shape cake or muffin pan.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!